Sandvik Formula 1 is an effective multipurpose pickling paste used for post-weld treatment of stainless steel welds. Stainless steels are pickled in order to refurbish the welds surface finish by removing welding oxide, heat tint or scale, formed during fabrication. Sandvik Formula 1 effectively removes these oxides and the chromium depleted area that will reduce the corrosion resistance of the stainless steel surface.
Sandvik Formula 1 is rapid and economical to use, as only a thin film of the pickling paste is required for a perfect result. The pickling paste has excellent adhesion and can be applied on vertical surfaces and ceilings without any risk of running or drying.
Forms of supply
Sandvik Formula 1 is supplied in a 1 kg or 2 kg polyethylene container supplied in a 4-pack fiberboard box.
Sandvik Formula 1 should be stored indoors at room temperature. The packages should be kept upright and closed and stored with no access for unauthorized personnel.
The shelf life of unopened pickling paste is 3 years. The shelf life of an opened package is 1 year, on condition that the package is carefully closed after use.
Instructions for use
- Remove as much slag, oxide and weld defects as possible. A stainless steel wire brush is recommended. If necessary, wash off dirt, oil, grease and paint which could impede the pickling process
- Working temperature between +5 to +40°C (+41 to +104°F)
- Shake Sandvik Formula 1 pickling paste well before use
- Apply a relatively thick layer of paste with the accompanying brush. Longer pickling times apply for higher alloy steels.
- Remove the pickling paste (pickling residue must be neutralized to pH 7 (Sandvik Neutralization paste). Carefully brush underlying oxides away with a damp stainless steel wire brush
- Flush with a generous amount of water. No pickling paste or pickling paste residue must be left after flushing
- Leave the pickled structure to air dry, to allow the passivated layer to be re-formed on the welded (pickled) areas
Local regulations apply to the use of flushing water. The flushing water contains acid remnants and heavy metals
|Form||Viscous, colorless, gel-like solution|
|Consumption||1 kg (2.2 lbs) of pickling paste is enough for approximately 120 m (393 ft) of weld bead or a surface of approximately 6 m2 (64.58 ft2)|