SAF 3207 HD hyper-duplex stainless steel
SAF 3207 HD™ (UNS S33207) is a hyper-duplex stainless steel; a high-alloy duplex steel with a PRE value of min. 50*. The grade is characterized by excellent corrosion resistance in chloride environments, such as seawater, combined with exceptionally high mechanical strength.
An excellent material for several oil and gas applications
SAF 3207 HD™ hyper-duplex steel has been developed for deepwater umbilicals; an application with extreme requirements on pitting and crevice corrosion resistance, mechanical strength and fatigue properties.
Offering greater yield strength, greater corrosion resistance and superior fatigue properties compared with super-duplex steels, SAF 3207 HD™ hyper-duplex steel is also an excellent material choice for a range of other oil and gas applications. For example, when resistance to hydrogen sulfide (H2S) is a requirement, such as in raw seawater injection, control lines and chemical injection lines, SAF 3207 HD™ offers high reliability and operational safety leading to lower operating costs.
Contributes to lighter installations
The excellent yield strength of SAF 3207 HD™ contributes to lighter installations. It enables tubes with thinner walls to be used that withstand the same pressure levels as tubes with thicker walls in other materials.
Main characteristics of SAF 3207 HD™
- Excellent resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion
- Excellent resistance to stress corrosion cracking (SCC) in hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and chloride containing environments
- High resistance to general corrosion in acidic and caustic environments
- Excellent resistance to erosion-corrosion
- Excellent corrosion fatigue properties
- Exceptionally high mechanical strength
- Exceptionally high fatigue strength
- Physical properties that offer design advantages
- Good weldability
* PRE stands for pitting resistance equivalent and is defined as, in weight-%:
% Cr + 3.3 x % Mo + 16 x % N
The PRE value mentioned above is valid for tube and pipe.