Plating and electropolishing
Sandvik offers electroplating and electropolishing services for surface finish modification.
The common electroplated alloys are hard and soft gold, nickel and silver. The typical deposit thickness range is 0.13 to 1.3 microns (5 to 50 micro-in.).
- Soft gold deposits are typically required for applications like ultrasonic wire bonding and static contact materials.
- Hard gold deposits are more common in dynamic contact applications.
- Nickel plating can be used as a diffusion barrier between the underlying base metal and gold plating layer when the modified surface is exposed to elevated temperatures.
- Nickel as an outer surface layer is an effective surface lubricant as well as a corrosion enhancement layer.
- Silver can be used to enhance the electrical properties of the wire and well as providing a more active surface for joining or other processes.